Top 3 Low Tox Swaps
These are the top 3 DIY products that I'm always recommending whether you're just starting out or are many years into your low tow journey.
SOFT SCRUB BATHROOM CLEANSER: TUB, TILE TOILET
- ¾ rounded cups sodium bicarbonate (bi-carb soda)
- ¼ cup unscented liquid castile soap
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 5–10 drops lemon essential oil
- In bowl, combine bi-carb soda and castile soap.
- Add water and stir.
- Add vinegar and essential oil. The consistency should be a soft paste.
- Apply to the area you would like to clean, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- After the solution has had a chance to sit, begin scrubbing. Once done scrubbing, take a wet cloth and wipe clean.
Note: Make in small batches and store in an airtight container. This is enough for two to four applications.
- 2 cups washing soda
- 2 cups borax
- 1 bar grated castile soap
- 25 drops of your favourite essential oil
- Mix washing soda, borax, and grated castile soap together.
- Add essential oil, mixing to combine.
- Use ¼ cup of the mixture per load of laundry. Store in an airtight container.
REUSABLE ANTI-BACTERIAL WIPES
- 1 ½ cups of distilled water
- 1 tbsp castile soap
- 20 drops of essential oil (antibacterial options include tea tree, thyme & rosemary)
- 20 small thin pieces of cloth I like to use my kids old worn-out clothes cut into 12 x 20cm pieces
- 1 litre storage container airtight glass jar or Tupperware container.
- Add castile soap, water and essential oils to store container and stir to combine.
- Add cut up cloths to container and press down so that all the solution is absorbed by the cloth.
- Close contain and flip upside down to ensure all the clothes have absorb some of the liquid solution.
- Store used wipes in an open-air container or basket until laundry day then wash as usual and repeat.